Cocoon Atrium Structure
- Project: Atrium Feature, Amadeus Heathrow
- Description: Cocoon Atrium Structure
- Client: Amadeus
- Location: Hounslow, London
- Applications: Feature Atrium
- Fabric: 450 Natte / E Screen
- Frame: Mild Steel
- Fixings: Fabricated Stainless Steel
- Ref: 1036
Atrium spaces and the way they are occupied are often not considered at new build stage in many office-type buildings. This was the case at the World Business Centre 3 Building in Hounslow.
The two cocoon-like sculptural forms installed in this space were commissioned by the final client Amadeus, to add a strong yet simple visual element to the five storey atrium facing the Heathrow runway.
The forms themselves were created using a powder coated mild steel frame and Natte fabric for the main skin and horizontal ribs. Stainless steel drop cables supported the two structures which were chemically set into the concrete ceiling above.